Night Beat

with John Casey


During their famed Live performance at the Shrine Auditorium, L.A. in July 1955, Paul Foster sang for his life or so it sounds to me when I listen to the live rendition of 'Be with me Jesus' from that concert, a concert that proved to be a high watermark for the gospel group before Sam Cooke's imminent departure for pastures new. The live performance of the song starts as normal, with little fanfare save a minor guitar intro with Sam Cooke's vocal beckoning the Lord's attention, he is then joined by the rest of the Soul Stirrers, the song as the title suggests is a plea to Jesus, a plea for him to 'don't leave me now, I'll know you'll stand by me, when I'm in trouble, when I'm in misery and Lord in my dying hour', Cooke reminds Jesus to 'stand by your word' and with that some two minutes in, Paul Foster takes the lead in the track entering into a call and response with Sam Cooke that they have probably done countless times before on stage.
       Paul Foster says of how 'I worked hard for you Jesus, sweat on my brow - don't leave now', as the track progresses you can hear Cooke imploring Foster to 'come on' and Foster's performance intensifies - juxtaposing shouts of pain with plaintive pleas to the Lord to deliver him to heaven, 'I don't know how to die' he shouts 'you said you wouldn't leave me'. I'm always floored by the sheer power of Paul Foster's vocal, the conviction and commitment of his performance, he sings himself hoarse giving his testament, the last line shows his faith in Jesus can help him when the time finally comes to say farewell 'to my friends down here, but there are others waiting for me up there'. I'm not remotely religious but the devotion and belief with which Paul Foster sings on this particular live recording is a little humbling to say the least.







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Listen Live

Night Beat broadcasts every Tuesday at 22:00(GMT) on Near 90.3fm - for lovers of good music everywhere, playing the best in electronica, Jazz, Blues, Hip Hop and a lot more besides.

Click here to listen online.

Please bear in mind that the video feed produces much better quality audio than the "Listen Live" link.

Text requests to:
087 69 44 500


Followers

Blog Archive